Giving Thanks on Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is this weekend, and while you’re celebrating a three-day holiday weekend with family and friends, take an opportunity to show your home and community some love too. Here are seven ways to give thanks on Thanksgiving weekend:
- Break out the Thanksgiving decor: show your home and house guests some love by getting your space into the Thanksgiving spirit. Get creative with your tablescape or festive decor accents; Homes.com has some free Thanksgiving printables available on their website to get you started.
- Donate to a local charity or non-profit: Thanksgiving marks the start of the holiday season, and the busiest time of need for most non-profits. Consider donating items, food or money to a charity you love.
- Volunteer your time: whether it be serving up turkey dinners at a homeless shelter or visiting a hospital, Thanksgiving long weekend is a time of extra need for volunteers. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity, check out Volunteering Calgary for a list of opportunities.
- Host family or friends for dinner: whether your family is nearby or not, open your home and your kitchen to friends and family and bring Thanksgiving dinner to a few more.
- Show your home some love: be thankful for your home and give it some extra care this weekend: tackle some items on your to-do list, add a fresh coat of paint, take on some deep-cleaning, etc.
- Notes of appreciation: leave notes of appreciation as table markers for your dinner guests this weekend. It’s a simple touch that will go a long way for all of your guests. For some inspiration, check out these ideas from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Bring in the Autumn inside: bring this beautiful season indoors with seasonal scented candles or fall foliage or flowers. Reds, oranges and yellows look beautiful as decor pieces and go perfectly with the Thanksgiving theme as well.
We want to see how you gave thanks this long Thanksgiving weekend, share your photos with us on Twitter, and happy long weekend!