20 Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness in the Community
Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day, and to celebrate we are giving you 20 ideas for how you can show some kindness to your community and your neighbours.
- Create a free little library: if you’re not familiar with free little libraries, they are open miniature libraries in communities or on front lawns that promote the “take a book, leave a book” notion. It’s a great addition to a community, and promotes connectivity and literacy as well. Consider putting up a free little library to show your neighbours and neighbourhood some love. More information can be found online here.
- Be a ‘snow angel’: while the weather looks to be cooperating for us this week, you can always show some kindness to neighbours by offering to shovel their walkway or driveway for them, or perhaps offer to help out come springtime with yard maintenance.
- Help someone move: moving is hard work, why not start off on a good foot by getting a few people from the community together to help your new neighbours move in? The work will get done quicker, and you’ll have more time to get to know the new folks on the block.
- Donate to a local charity or non-profit: In addition to donating money, you can also consider donating some of your used clothing or furniture you’re getting rid of after seasonal cleaning. There are a number of organizations in Calgary and Airdrie that are accepting these kinds of donations all the time. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity in mind, ask for a recommendation from friends or family.
- Volunteer your time: whether it be serving up meals at a homeless shelter or visiting a hospital, non-profits are always in need of help. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity, check out Volunteering Calgary for a list of opportunities.
- Support local businesses: Supporting the local business and food communities helps boost our economy and keeps entrepreneurs in business.
- Host a community cleanup: show your neighbourhood some love by getting some neighbours together and taking care of some landscaping, or garbage cleanup. A little cleanup will show your community some much-needed appreciation and will keep things looking good in your area.
Want more ideas? Visit the Random Acts of Kindness website for more inspiration.