A look at New Home Warranty Programs in Alberta
Since 2014, Alberta has had the New Home Buyer Protection Act in place, which ensures every new home built in our province is protected under warranty. This Act encourages higher quality, and building practices that ensure longevity.
The types of homes covered by new home warranties in Alberta include: single-family, multi-family, condominiums, duplexes, manufactured homes and recreation properties.
Here’s a look at what your home’s warranty will cover:
- One year: coverage for labour and materials, which covers home finishings, including defects in flooring, paint, etc.
- Two years: coverage for delivery and distribution systems which includes heating, plumbing and electrical systems.
- Five years: coverage for building envelope which includes home exterior (including roof and walls). With two additional years of coverage available as well.
- Ten years: coverage for major structural components including framing and foundation.
There are seven warranty providers for new homes in Alberta, which one you have will depend on which builder you choose:
- Blanket Home Warranty Ltd. – WBI Home Warranty Ltd. / Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (RSA)
- Millennium Insurance Corporation
- National Home Warranty Group Inc. – Aviva Canada Inc.
- Progressive Home Warranty Solutions Inc. – Aviva Canada Inc.
- Progressive Home Warranty Solutions Inc. – Echelon Insurance
- The Alberta New Home Warranty Program
- Travelers Insurance Company of Canada
- WBI Home Warranty Ltd. – Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada (RSA)
Your role as a home buyer and homeowner is to do your research. Get to know the potential builder you’ll be working with, and look into their track record, including years in the business and the communities they’ve built in. Look into who their warranty provider is (look for dates), and how the claim process works, should you ever need it.
Alberta’s warranty program is easy with the Government of Alberta’s public registry. At this registry, builders are required to input their warranty information for every new home. All you do to use this registry, is type in your address, and you’ll have access to warranty dates and contact information for your warranty provider.
For mor information, visit the New Home Warranty website online, or you can contact Municipal Affairs toll-free at 1-866-421-6929.