Countdown to Christmas: 10 holiday events to look forward to in the next month
It might be hard to believe, but we’re officially at the one month countdown to Christmas. Since it’s now socially acceptable to get excited about the most wonderful time of year, here’s 10 holiday events to look forward to in Calgary and Airdrie.
- Zoolights: this animal-themed holiday light display is on from November 25 to January 8, featuring over 1.5 million lights, over 200 displays and lots of activities. Located at the Calgary Zoo, more information.
- Airdrie Santa Claus Parade: a popular holiday tradition in Airdrie, take in the Santa Claus Parade on December 3 on Main Street between fletcher Park and Ridgegate. Parade starts at 5pm, more information.
- Market Collective: this market is an independent market where hundreds of local artists, artisans, and designers sell their goodies and it’s perfect for holiday shopping. Happening every weekend from this weekend until December 18th. Happening at the Chinese Cultural Centre, $5 admission to the market, more information.
- CP Holiday Train: The CP Holiday Train is North America’s longest rolling food bank fundraiser, and it’s rolling into Calgary on December 10th at 6:45pm. You can see the CP Holiday Train at the Anderson CTrain station, more information.
- Airdrie Festival of Lights: this is Western Canada’s largest walk-through holiday light display, featuring a mini train, outdoor skating, hot chocolate and more. Open December 1 to 31 from 6 to 9pm at Nose Creek Park, more information.
- Once Upon a Christmas at Heritage Park: experience Heritage Park with a holiday twist, featuring wagon rides, Christmas carols and more. This is happening every weekend until December 28th, more information here.
- A Christmas Carol: experience the Charles Dickens holiday classic at Theatre Calgary from November 26 to December 24, more information.
- The Nutcracker: this is a holiday staple at the Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium. Experience the classic ballet from December 16 to 24, more information here.
- Polar Express train ride: families can journey to the “North Pole” on a train. Passengers will be served milk and cookies, and hear a reading of The Polar Express to the soundtrack as well. This is happening at Aspen Crossing Railway from November 25 to December 24, more information.
- Lion’s Festival of Lights: this is the largest drive-by free holiday light display in Calgary. Walk through Confederation Park or walk or drive by on 14th Street NW north of 24 Avenue. The display is on November 26 to January 8, more information.
Be sure to tweet us your holiday community photos as well!