Thanksgiving is this weekend, and while you’re celebrating a three-day holiday weekend with family and friends, take an opportunity to show your community some love too. Here are seven ways to give back to your community and your neighbours on Thanksgiving weekend:
- Donate to a local charity or non-profit: Thanksgiving marks the start of the holiday season, and the busiest time of need for most non-profits. In addition to donating money, you can also consider donating some of your used clothing or furniture you’re getting rid of after fall cleaning. There are a number of organizations in Calgary and Airdrie that are accepting these kinds of donations all the time. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity in mind, ask for a recommendation from friends or family.
- Host your friends or neighbours for Thanksgiving dinner: whether your family is nearby or not, consider opening your home up to a few more people who may have been dining alone this weekend. It’s a small gesture that will make a big difference for those you invite, and could also be a great way to get to know your neighbours.
- Volunteer your time: whether it be serving up turkey dinners at a homeless shelter or visiting a hospital, Thanksgiving long weekend is a time of extra need for volunteers. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity, check out Volunteering Calgary for a list of opportunities.
- Notes of appreciation: leave notes of appreciation as table markers for your dinner guests this weekend. It’s a simple touch that will go a long way for all of your guests. For some inspiration, check out these ideas from Better Homes and Gardens.
- Donate to a local food drive: both Airdrie and Calgary have Food Bank chapters, and this is the time of year they are especially in need of food. You can donate at any time to these organizations, or you can organize your own food drive as well.
- Support local businesses: consider purchasing all your dinner ingredients and Thanksgiving decor from local businesses. Supporting the local business and food communities helps boost our economy and keeps entrepreneurs in business.
- Host a community cleanup: show your neighbourhood some love by getting some neighbours together and taking care of some landscaping, or garbage cleanup. A little cleanup will show your community some much-needed appreciation and will keep things looking good in your area.
How are you giving back this Thanksgiving weekend? Share with us on Twitter, and enjoy your holiday weekend.