The Calgary Stampede officially kicks off today, and while the city will be engulfed in a sea of Western wear and festival-going for the next 10 days, all the Stampede events and excitement can really add up.
Luckily, with a little planning and resources, you can enjoy the Calgary Stampede and keep money in your pocket at the same time. We’ve dug up some secrets and money-saving tips so you can take in the biggest event of the year on any budget. Here’s some tips for a budget-friendly Stampede:
- Stampede Parade: the official kick-off to the Calgary Stampede is the parade this Friday, and this fun-filled event is free too! This year’s Stampede Parade Marshal is two-time Canadian Olympic gold medalist, Kaillie Humphries. The parade runs through downtown Calgary on Friday and starts at 7:30am, for full parade route see online here.
- Value Days: there are several value days to look forward to at the Calgary Stampede, which will allow you access to the grounds for discounted (or even free). Sneak-a-Peek is Thursday, July 2 and admission is only $9; Suncor Family Day is Sunday, July 5th and admission is free from 6 to 9 am. BMO Kids Day is Wednesday, July 8th and admission is free for kids under 12 between 7 and 9 am.
- Costco Stampede Bucks: you can purchase $50 worth of Stampede Bucks from Costco for $39.99. This Stampede currency can be used for: admission, rides, games, food, parking or retail.
- Safeway Ride & Play Card: today (July 2nd) is the last day to purchase a Ride & Play Card from Safeway and save $20 on the price of the same card on the grounds.
- Stampede Fireworks: the fireworks go on every night at the Stampede grounds, but you can view them from several vantage points around the city—for free.
- Free Stampede Breakfasts: there are a huge number of Stampede breakfasts happening all over the city for free, every day of the festival. You can view the Free Stampede Pancakes website to find all of them, or download the free app.
If you find other deals and money-saving Stampede tips, please share them with us on Twitter. Happy Stampeding!