How to prep for holiday guests
In just a few short days, the holiday weekend will be upon us, and homes will be filled with family, friends, decor and goodies. If you still feel like you are scrambling to get organized for holiday guests and out of town visitors, here’s just a few quick tips to get yourself and your home ready for all the busyness.
- Craft a Christmas tablescape: the holidays brings people together around your table, so give it some festive appeal. There are many ways, both simple and extravagant, to create a Christmas tablescape. Need some inspiration? Pinterest is full of amazing and creative table and decor ideas for the holidays.
- Get your home ready for overnight guests: if you have guests coming in from out of town, ensure your home is ready for overnight guests. This means ensuring the bathrooms are cleaned and well stocked with extra towels, toilet paper, etc. Have a bedroom setup with bedding, and in most cases—keep the coffee stocked!
- Be ready for guests of all ages: be mindful of who you are expecting in your home over the weekend. If you will have elderly guests, make sure your driveway and walkway is clear and easily accessible, as well as clear railings on stairs. Similar considerations should be made for little ones visiting your home, baby-proof your home if necessary and keep hazardous and dangerous items out of reach for children.
- Clean up: tidy your home, especially the rooms in which you’ll be entertaining. Make sure the kitchen is especially clutter-free, to prepare for all the food and people that will be coming in and out. If you run short on time, here’s a great guide from Porch on cleaning your home for guests in under 30 minutes.
- Tackle the menu: the food is usually a focal point for holiday get-togethers, and if you don’t have some secret family recipes in the vault, Pinterest has some great holiday dish ideas that will appease any dietary restrictions too.
We would love for you to share photos of your holiday home with us on Twitter, and we wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday weekend!