This upcoming Wednesday is a special holiday, as we honour Canadians who have put their lives on the line in the fight for freedom. If you’re looking for a way to commemorate Remembrance Day in Calgary and Airdrie this Wednesday, here’s a list of ceremonies and events happening on November 11, 2015:
- Aerospace Museum: this ceremony begins at 10:30 am, and museum will open up afterwards with admission by donation. (Located at: 4629 McCall Way NE)
- Battalion Park: this ceremony is particularly special this year as it marks 100 years since the troops deployed from this site during the First World War. The ceremony begins at 10:30 am. (Located at: 3001 Signal Hill Drive SW)
- Burnsland Cemetery: tours of the cemetery, which honours Canadian Military and RCMP, are being held on November 11th from 2 – 3:30 pm. (Located at: 27 Avenue and Spiller Road SE)
- Calgary International Airport: a brief ceremony will be held at 10:30 am, and the Calgary International Airport Pipe Band and Honour Guard will march through the terminal as well.
- Canadian Pacific: this ceremony will begin at 10:30 am at the new Memorial Square, built last year to commemorate 100 years of the start of the First World War. (Located at: 7550 Ogden Dale Road SE)
- Central Memorial Park: this ceremony will begin at 10 am, honouring those who fought in the First World War and Boer War, included is a parade by the Calgary Highlanders. (Located at: 1221, 2 Street SW)
- Field of Crosses: this iconic site is located on Memorial Drive between Centre Street and 3rd Street SE, and features approximately 3,200 white crosses commemorating identified Southern Albertans killed in combat. Sunrise and sunset ceremonies are happening daily leading up to and including the 11th.
- Kensington Legion: this ceremony will begin at 9:30 am, featuring veteran and Legion members. (Located at: 1910 Kensington Road NW)
- Kirby Centre: this ceremony will begin at 10:30 am, this centre serves the needs of older Calgarians. (Located at: 1133, 7 Avenue SW)
- Military Museums: this ceremony begins at 10:30 am, following the ceremony there will be free admission to the museum to explore exhibits currently on. This ceremony is also accepting non-perishable food donations for the Veterans’ Food Bank. (Located at: 4520 Crowchild Trail SW)
- Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium: this annual ceremony begins at 9:30 am, featuring military, veterans, political and civic groups. Weather permitting, there will be a march at the side of the building upon closing ceremony. (Located at: 1415 14 Ave NW)
- Genesis Place: this ceremony will take place at 10 am, hosted by the Airdrie Legion. The unveiling of the Bert Church School ‘Poppy Art Project’ will be unveiled as well. (Located at: 800 East Lake Boulevard NE)
Do you know of another public Remembrance Day ceremony in Calgary or Airdrie that we missed? Please let us know about it on Twitter.