Museums to Check Out in Calgary and Airdrie
Yesterday was ‘International Museums Day’, and in celebration, take in a bit of history at one of the amazing museums in Calgary and Airdrie this long weekend. Perhaps you’ll find something you never knew existed in your city before, but you’re sure to learn something.
- Grain Academy and Museum: learn about world of grains and oilseeds through exhibits, touch screens and film presentations. It also houses Calgary’s largest model railway display and a working model of the wooden grain elevator. BMO Centre, Stampede Park | website
- Glenbow: this museum has a collection of over 1.3 million artifacts and artworks, and it’s one of the largest museums in western Canada. 130 – 9 Avenue SE | website
- Hangar Flight Museum: located just south of YYC Calgary International Airport, this museum features a wide variety of civilian and military aircraft spanning the entire century of Canadian flight. It currently holds over 20 aircraft! 4629 McCall Way NE | website
- The Military Museums: this is the largest facility of its kind in Western Canada. This multi-faceted attraction houses eight museums under a single roof. The Military Museums is dedicated to representing Canada’s navy, army, and air force and educating the public, particularly youth, about Canada’s military. 4520 Crowchild Trail SW | website
- Gasoline Alley Museum: located at Heritage Park, this museum has the world’s largest public collections of antique vehicles and oil and gas related artifacts, this museum brings the 30s, 40s and 50s to life. 1900 Heritage Drive SW | website
- Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame: this is an international award-winning facility with over 40,000 square feet of inspiring experiences. Located at WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park, it features 12 interactive galleries and a collection of 100,000 artifacts. 169 Canada Olympic Road SW | website
- Nose Creek Valley Museum: this museum represents over 100 years of local history, providing an interesting glimpse into the historical aspects of Airdrie and surrounding area. 1701 Main Street SW | website
Looking for even more to do? Tourism Calgary has a great online guide to museums and galleries in Calgary and surrounding areas.