Tips for a budget-friendly Stampede
The Calgary Stampede kicks off this week, and while the city will be engulfed in a sea of Western wear and festival-going for 10 days, all the Stampede events and excitement can really add up.
Luckily, with a little planning and resources, you can enjoy the Calgary Stampede and keep money in your pocket at the same time. We’ve dug up some secrets and money-saving tips so you can take in the biggest event of the year on any budget. Here’s some tips for a budget-friendly Stampede:
- Stampede Parade: the official kick-off to the Calgary Stampede is the parade this Friday, July 8, and this fun-filled event is free too! This year’s Stampede Parade Marshals are hometown music favourites, Paul Brandt and Jann Arden. The parade runs through downtown Calgary on Friday and starts at 8:00am, for full parade route see online here.
- Value Days: there are several value days to look forward to at the Calgary Stampede, which will allow you access to the grounds for discounted (or even free). Sneak-a-Peek is Thursday, July 7 and admission is discounted from 5pm to midnight; Suncor Family Day is Sunday, July 10th and admission is free from 6 to 9 am. BMO Kids Day is Wednesday, July 13th and admission is free for kids under 12 between 7 and 9 am.=
- Ride & Play Card: July 7th is the last day to purchase a Ride & Play Card from Safeway or Sobeys and save over 25 per cent on games and rides.
- Two for $27: for only $27, receive two Calgary Stampede Park general admissions and two participating Coca-Cola 500ml beverages. Only available at participating Mac’s.
- Stampede Fireworks: the fireworks go on every night at the Stampede grounds, but you can view them from several vantage points around the city—for free.
- Free Stampede Breakfasts: there are a huge number of Stampede breakfasts happening all over the city for free, every day of the festival. You can view the Free Stampede Pancakes website to find all of them.
If you find other deals and money-saving Stampede tips, please share them with us on Twitter. You can also make your Stampede planning and experience easier by downloading the 2016 mobile app here. Happy Stampeding, and be sure to tag your photos on social media with #Stampede2016!