With the start of a new year, January is a month to get yourself and your home organized for the coming months. Not only is starting the year off on the right foot with your home a good idea, but tackling certain maintenance jobs now will keep your home in better shape (and likely save you some money in the process).
Here’s the home tasks you should take on in January:
- Store holiday decorations: if you haven’t taken down the remnants of Christmas past yet, now is the time to clean up from the holidays and store your decorations. To make storage easier, and unpacking a breeze next holiday season, here’s some organizing tips for your holiday decor.
- Recycle your Christmas tree: remember that this year’s City of Calgary Christmas tree recycling program is drop-off only, and available until January 30th at one of these locations. Christmas tree chipping is available in Airdrie until January 13th, details here.
- Protect your pipes: ’tis the season for frozen pipes, if you’re going out of town, you can use things like heat tape on your pipes to prevent them from bursting in the cold. While you’re home, ensure pipes are kept warm enough to prevent freezing.
- Clear the clutter: now is the perfect time to rid your home of excess. Paring down will keep your home cleaner and give you more space. Here’s some tips from professional organizers on de-cluttering for the new year.
- Check your detectors: the winter is when fireplaces and portable heaters are working overtime, which means increased risk of fire and monoxide poisoning. Be sure to check to ensure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.
- Check your home’s exterior: check the outside of your home to see if you’re at risk for ice dams or dangerous build-ups in your eavestroughs, or drainage areas. You’ll also want to clear any debris from your gutters and downspouts, and ensure no heavy snow is sitting on tree branches above your home or any cars, etc. Once that branch breaks you could be in for a big problem, so be proactive.
- Check your home’s interior: check your windows and doors for drafts and seal or fix them promptly. You can lose a lot of money and energy through cracks and seals in your home, so take a quick check to ensure your home is properly insulated and protected from air or moisture.
Do you have a suggestion for another home maintenance task to tackle in January? Please share it with us on Twitter.