Grow a Spring Herb Garden
Get your garden (and cooking) ready for spring by planting your very own herb garden. Our resident Master Gardener, Abbi Singh, walks us through how to prepare and plant a herb garden that will grow all season long. Who doesn’t like fresh herbs while cooking your favourite meals?
You don’t have to be an expert gardener to put this fresh garden together – that’s why we have Abbi Singh. He shows us exactly what we need to get started, ideas for the types of herbs to grow and how to plant them properly so they will continue to provide fresh leaves for our cooking. Watch the video with Abbi to learn how to plant your very own spring herb garden.
Planting your spring herb garden:
1. Start with the soil. Abbi recommends using 50% potting mix, 25% compost and 25% soil. Add slow release fertilizer for rich soil that your herbs will thrive in. Mix the soil together before putting it in the planter or pot.
2. Choose a variety of herbs. You can plant them from seeds or get the plants already started from the store or local garden center. Abbi chose cilantro, thyme, chives, basil, rosemary and oregano.
3. Break up the roots before you place them in the soil. This will let the plants know they need to continue to grow and spread out their roots in the new soil.
4. Plant to the depth of where the roots start and space them out so they have room to grow.
5. Secure them in the soil and give them a good soak.
6. Keep the planter on your deck for easy access. You can reap fresh herbs from the plants all summer long.
Make sure you tag us on social media if you plant your own herb garden, we want to see your masterpiece!