It’s official, we are less than a month away from Christmas! While the coming weeks will be full of celebrating and full schedules, take an opportunity to show your community some love too.
Here are some simple ways to give back to your community and your neighbours during the holidays:
- Donate to a local charity or non-profit: Christmas is the busiest time of need for most non-profits. In addition to donating money, you can also consider donating some of your used clothing (especially winter clothing) or furniture. There are a number of organizations in Calgary and Airdrie that are accepting these kinds of donations all the time. If you don’t have a favourite non-profit or charity in mind, ask for a recommendation from friends or family.
- Host your friends or neighbours: whether your family is nearby or not, consider opening your home up to a few more people who may have been dining alone this coming weekend. It’s a small gesture that will make a big difference for those you invite and could also be a great way to get to know your neighbours.
- Volunteer your time: whether it be serving up Christmas dinner at a homeless shelter or visiting a hospital, this weekend is a time of extra need for volunteers and can be a lonely time for those without much.
- Donate to a local food drive: both Airdrie and Calgary have Food Bank chapters and this is the time of year when they are especially in need of food. Not to mention, Calgary and Airdrie food banks are stretched beyond normal need this year due to the economic conditions. You can donate at any time to these organizations, or you can organize your own food drive as well.
- Support local businesses: consider purchasing all your dinner ingredients, holiday decor, and last-minute gifts from local businesses. Supporting the local business and food communities helps boost our economy and keeps entrepreneurs in business.
- Be a ‘Snow Angel’: the City of Calgary’s Snow Angels program encourages Calgarians to be good neighbours by clearing snowy driveways and sidewalks for those who need assistance. Clearing some snow is a simple gesture that will be very appreciated by those you help.
We love to hear about all of the amazing ways you are giving back to your community, so please feel free to connect and share with us on social media!