When it comes to doing your holiday shopping, choosing local businesses to support is a great way to give back to your community and contribute to the local economy as well. If you don’t have a favourite maker or retailer in Calgary or Airdrie, you’re in luck, because this time of year there are lots of markets where you can find local artists and treasures for everyone on your list.
- Calgary Christmas Market: this holiday market is happening at the Calgary Farmers’ Market (510 – 77 Avenue SW) until December 23rd. The market is open Thursday through Sundays, 9am to 5pm and it’s free to go.
- Curated Holiday Market: this market features over 85 different vendors over four weekends (December 1 to 3, December 8 to 10, December 15 to 17) at Deerfoot City (901 64 Avenue NE). Check the link for the hours of the markets, but admission is $5.
- Market Collective: these markets are always holiday favourites, and you can check this one out this weekend, the weekend of December 8th and the weekend of December 15th. Head to the Yellow Warehouse (1390 17 Avenue NE), admission is $5 and hours are listed in the link.
- Once upon a Christmas at Heritage Park: more than just shopping at this holiday market which includes family-friendly activities, photos and carolling. This is taking place December 17, 22 and 23 at Heritage Park (1900 Heritage Drive SW). You can attend between 9:30am and 4pm on those dates, admission costs vary so visit the link for more information.
- Century Downs 3rd Annual Weihnachtsmarkt: you can shop from local artisans and vendors while enjoying hay rides and indulging in traditional German food and mulled wine. This event takes place on December 3rd from 11am to 3pm at Century Downs (260 Century Downs Drive, Rocky View County).
Another way to find local businesses or markets to support, is to check out the hashtags #locallove or #shoplocal on social media sites, partnered with you area (#Calgary, #Airdrie). You may be surprised what gems you find out about!