The Calgary Stampede kicks off tomorrow, and while the city will be engulfed in a sea of Western wear and festival-going for 10 days, all the Stampede events and excitement can really add up.
Luckily, with a little planning and resources, you can enjoy the Calgary Stampede and keep money in your pocket at the same time. We’ve dug up some secrets and money-saving tips so you can take in the biggest event of the year on any budget. Here’s some tips for a budget-friendly Stampede:
- Stampede Parade: the official kick-off to the Calgary Stampede is the parade tomorrow, July 7, and this fun-filled event is free too! There are over 116 parade floats with live music and entertainment along the way. The parade runs through downtown Calgary on Friday and starts at 9:00am, for full parade route see online here. And a bonus, from 11am to 1pm tomorrow (following the parade), admission to the Stampede Park will be free!
- Value Days: there are several value days to look forward to at the Calgary Stampede, which will allow you access to the grounds for discounted (or even free). Cenovus Family Day is Sunday, July 9th and there is free admission for the whole family from 8 a.m. to noon, and free breakfast for the first 25,000 guests. Canada 150 Day is July 11th and offers $1.50 entry until 1:50 p.m. and offers free admission all day for seniors 65+.
- Ride & Play Card: July 7th is the last day to purchase a Ride & Play Card from Safeway or Sobeys and save over 25 per cent on games and rides.
- Two for 1: purchase participating 12-packs (355 ml cans) of Coca-Cola products at participating retailers and clip the white voucher to get admission for 2 for only $5.*
- Stampede Fireworks: the fireworks go on every night at the Stampede grounds, but you can view them from several vantage points around the city—for free.
- Free Stampede Breakfasts: there are a huge number of Stampede breakfasts happening all over the city for free, every day of the festival. You can view the Free Stampede Pancakes website to find all of them.
If you find other deals and money-saving Stampede tips, please share them with us on Twitter. Happy Stampeding, and be sure to tag your photos on social media with #Stampede2017!