This time of year can get very busy for most of us; between holiday shopping, decorating and events—there is a lot to get done in a short period of time! With the countdown to Christmas looming, you don’t need to add stress to your list of things to deal with this time of year, so here’s some tips to actually have a stress-free holiday shopping experience.
- Plan ahead: literally make a list of everyone you need to buy for, and some concrete gift ideas as well. If you are planning to hit retail locations, going without a clue what you’re looking for could lead to many hours of stress and frustration. The more focused you are on what you need to get, the quicker you can get in and get out of where you are going.
- The longer you wait, the worse it will be: this means starting early really is great practice. However, since we are now into December, every day is ticking by. Don’t procrastinate, because the truth is, a lot of people do and the lineups will only be longer the closer we get to the big day.
- Do research beforehand: browse the web before you head out to look for specific products or sales that will streamline the shopping experience in-store.
- Go online completely: one amazing thing you could do alleviate stress this year, is do all your shopping online. No busy parking lots, long line-ups or inventory issues to deal with like you do in stores. Just be aware of shipping dates and additional fees if you are shopping online, but it’s a great option to consider.
- Do-it-yourself: another way to avoid the hoopla of holiday retail shopping completely, is to make your own gifts this year. Another added benefit of the DIY route, is that you end up with one-of-a-kind unique gifts for everyone on your list.
And remember, when it comes to doing your holiday shopping, choosing local businesses to support is a great way to give back to your community and contribute to the local economy as well. If you don’t have a favourite maker or retailer in Calgary or Airdrie, you’re in luck, because this time of year there are lots of markets where you can find local artists and treasures for everyone on your list.
Have another stress-busting holiday shopping tip? Please share it with us on social media!